After a seemingly-long hiatus, the BlackBerry 10 community is being treated to another OS leak, numbered 10.1.0.4537. By all accounts this leak appears to be the maintenance release of OS 10.1 mentioned some time ago by BlackBerry, and luckily there’s a version available for both the Z10 (including STL100-1) and the Q10.
Being the maintenance release, we’re seeing quite a few neat changes in this OS:
- Unlimited email sync for IMAP accounts
- A new gestures tutorial during initial setup (available to access as a separate app later)
- Simple password option (Z10 only in this leak)
- Option to escalate SMS/MMS conversations to a call from the Hub
- Fixes for iCloud calendar sync
- WiFi Calling on certain carriers
- UI changes in BlackBerry World
It isn’t 10.2 of course, but it’s shaping up to be a pretty major update. You can download the autoloaders here: Z10 STL100-1, STL100-2/3/4, Q10. Once you have the download for your respective device, here’s how to update:
- Backup your device with BlackBerry Link.
- Turn off the device.
- Run the autoloader.exe you downloaded earlier (Windows Vista, 7, and 8 may have to run as administrator)
- When “connecting to Bootrom” appears on system connect your device to PC and turn on device.
- Wait for process to finish and phone to reboot.
- The update will wipe your device, so you can either restore all the info from your backup through BlackBerry Link or just start fresh if you want.
As usual, BlackBerry Empire is not responsible for anything that may go wrong during the update process. This is why we always recommend making a backup. If worst comes to worst, you should be able to wipe the device and restore to an older OS. Finally, a big thanks to balenax and flexNinja for providing these leaks.